Plasma Scrub Cold Storage
The Global Problem of Food Waste
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that over a third of the food produced globally each year is wasted, an annual value of U.S. $1 trillion. Improperly stored perishable food is a major contributor to waste, particularly in developing nations where cold storage infrastructure is underdeveloped. Additionally, improper storage and handling increases the risk of food borne illnesses. Two key contributors to these problems are:
- High levels of harmful pathogens present on the produce.
- The inability to control the ripening process of ethylene-producing as well as ethylene sensitive fruit and vegetables.
A Solution to Store Food Fresher, Safer
Somnio Global’s Plasma Scrub cold storage innovation reduces food spoilage in cold storage facilities. Developed on Somnio Global’s patented Free Radical Generation technology platform, Plasma Scrub controls the production of ethylene and eliminates airborne bacteria so it disinfects the food and the storage environment. Plasma Scrub is a low-cost, low-maintenance and safe means of disinfecting cold storage with no harmful byproducts or residue.
Approximately five percent of global food waste is due to spoilage during storage, a U.S. $50 billion annual problem. In India alone, 18 percent of the country’s fruits and vegetables, amounting to an annual value of U.S. $2 billion, is wasted because of the lack of cold storage facilities. The Plasma Scrub device has the potential to improve food safety, quality and longevity during existing cold storage. It also has the potential to facilitate the development of new, innovative food storage solutions, particularly in developing nations that are challenged by a lack of reliable energy sources.
Plasma Scrub’s competitive advantage is the delivery of continuous ethylene control and microbial disinfection in a small, robust and energy efficient package with key benefits of:
- Prolonging shelf life of produce.
- Disinfecting food for safer consumption.
- Chemical-free environment for worker safety.
- Preventing mold and fungus build-up.
- Working with existing infrastructure.
- Reducing energy consumption.
- Chemical-free treatment system to support “organic” status of food.
- Low-maintenance requirements and small footprint.
- Higher utilization of existing facilities by increased flexibility of storage combinations.